Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
National Land Transport Authority (under the aegis of the Ministry of Land Transport and Light Rail)


1. How to obtain a Visitor's Licence
2. How to obtain a Student Identity Card?
3. How to obtain a Bus Pass for Disabled Person?

How to obtain a Visitor's Licence

If you are a foreigner visiting Mauritius and you are bringing your vehicle for your personal use, you may be issued with a visitor's licence (VIS) for your vehicle. You will have to call at the NTA Head Office in Cassis to fill in an application form.

The following documents will have to be produced:

(i) your passport;

(ii) the registration document of the vehicle;

(iii) a bank guarantee or Carnet ATA or any other document acceptable to the Commissioner; and

(iv) an insurance certificate covering the period for which the licence is required.

You will also have to pay an application fee of Rs 300.

When your application is approved, you will be issued with a visitor's licence and a set of number plates. The fees payable are as follows:

Visitor's licence(motor car) ( per month) : Rs 1,500.

Visitor's licence(motor cycle) ( per month) : Rs 800.

Deposit for registration plates : Rs 3,000.

Please note that the visitor's licence is valid for one month only, but may be renewed for further periods of one month, up to a maximum of twelve months.

In case of loss, a duplicate of the visitor's licence may be obtained upon pyment of Rs 300.

When you are leaving the country, you will be refunded the deposit fee of Rs 3,000 upon return of the number plates to the NTA.

How to obtain a Student Identity Card?

If you are a student attending a secondary, approved post secondary or approved tertiary institution, you will be provided with a student identity card issued by the NTA.

Fees payable for student identity cards:
First issue
Rs 100.
Rs 300.
Change of address.
Rs 100.
Any other correction
Rs 100.
Late processing fee
Rs 200.
Note :
All requests for student identity cards will have to be addressed to the administration of the institutions. Requests addressed directly to the NTA by students or their responsible parties will not be entertained.

Requests for duplicate, change of address, etc. will have to be accompanied by the fee of Rs 300.

The issue of a duplicate card may take more than one week.

How to obtain a Bus Pass for Disabled Person?

The NTA is responsible for the processing of free travel bus passes for individuals suffering from a disability and who, according to the Ministry of Social Security, National Solidarity and Reform institutions are eligibe for same.

Requests have to be addressed to the nearest Social Security Office which will then forward the request to the Head Office in Rose Hill for onward transmission to the NTA. The free travel pass are, once processed, collected from the NTA by officers of the Social Security Head Office who will thereafter send them to the respective centres for distribution to disabled persons.

Free travel passes are issued free of charge the first time. If However a disabled person loses his bus pass, he will have to pay Rs 100 for a duplicate.

Note: Disabled persons or their relatives should refrain from calling at or contacting the NTA for matters relating to the issue of bus passes.

Back to Top